Saturday, October 27, 2007

For this segment of the assignment I chose to focus on the e-zine American Journal and the blog news site Times Online. Each of these sites focus on the aspects of our society which may not necessarily appear in your typical newspaper.

I found that the American Journal was a much more professional site in terms of layout as well as having a more clearly defined goal in terms of what they wanted to cover. American Journal utilizes the American public as it source of editorials as outlined on their site;
"American Journal examines the diversity of the United States, offering true stories about the events and icons that form its identity.Our mission is to provide glimpses into the American culture, giving a better understanding of the country and its people."
This was a easily read and understood site with well laid out and well researched articles.

Times online on the other hand, looks like a typical blog layout with very few frills or design contributed. I did feel though that this site was a bit more applicable in terms of news as it pertains to current events. Up to date news is provided, and discussion is spurred.

After looking at these sites I feel I would rather go to a More standard news source than a blog if it was for anything other than personal use, as blogs don't make the best references in papers and the like. I have no issue reading them for my own use though as they often provide links to the more credible sources, as well as insight on the issue. The e-zine would be ideal for less time sensitive news, and I could see myself reading each new issue just as I would Time Magazine.

I feel this research strongly supports my initial stance. News can come in many forms, and these are just as important as the more time-proven sources.

1 comment:

Alejandra Ledesma said...

I also saw extremely different types of blogs. Some blogs are dedicated on very specific subjects and are more professional than others. I believe that every viewer has to have their own judgement and decide wether they want to accept the information presented to them as accurate or unaccurate. They also have the option of going to other sites to revise the accuracy of the information.